The hike to Pra Soccio is easy and not very long. This type of hike is useful to gain confidence with the difference in altitude and the wild environment typical of the Costiera dei Cech.
- Elevation Gain: 564 m.
- Hiking Time: 2 hours for the ascent
- Difficulty: E
- Max Elevation: 1653 m.
- Trail: without number but well marked by white and red signs
- Caution: the name of the places mentioned, in particular Pra Soccio, may diverge from the place names of the maps and other information found on the web. Pra Soccio: Pre Soccio, Pra Sücc’, Pre Sücc’, Presoccio…
Trekking is an inherently dangerous activity. The hike here described can be a dangerous activity if faced without the right preparation. Mountain conditions can be very dramatically from one season to the next. Always seek local advice on current conditions, check the weather and don’t take anything for granted.
The author accepts no liability whatsoever for any loss, injury or inconvenience resulting from the use of this blog.
Poira of Civo, that can be reached by following the provincial road that from Morbegno climbs steadily and passes the villages of Dazio, Vallate and Serone.
From Serone turn right, still by following the provincial road, pass on the village of Naguarido arriving at the next village of Chempo.
At the crossroad turn left and follow the municipal road that passes the village of Roncaglia di Sotto and after a few turns reaches Poira di Civo (Poira di Dentro).
Pass on the Pizzeria da Cris and follow the paved road until the end where there is a parking area where you can leave your vehicle.
Find the football field and from here take on the left.
A few meters before a house you will find, on your right, the indication to the Bivacco Bottani-Cornaggia. Follow the no-paved road through the forest, where there are some cottages. After a few minutes close to the last cottage you’ll find on the right the indication to the Bivacco Bottani.
The trail climbs gently and pleasantly along the pine forest for about 30 minutes until it reaches a small stream with the indication on the right to Peccio (Pesc).
Ignore this sign and continue to the left along the trail that becomes steeper step by step.
At this point the pine forest gives way to a birch forest and the trail, well marked but with few signs, continues steeply and with many turns until it reaches the Pista Tagliafuoco Costiera dei Cech (fire-break road).
The trace of the trail continues in front of the one done and after a brief section unstable the trail continues with a steady slope.
The steep and well marked trail allows you to quickly gain elevation and reach an open meadow with wide views of the lower Valtellina.
After a short and pleasant flat stretch follow the signs on the right and in a few minutes the trail leaves the forest and leads to the mountain pasture of Pra Soccio, 1653 m.
Along the same trail.
- The Pra Soccio mountain pasture is located about halfway along the hike that leads to the Bivacco Bottani- Cornaggia, 2327 m. The trail from Pra Soccio to the Bivacco is easy and quite popular. Allow for another 2 hours of walking.
- From Pra Soccio it is also possible to reach the Tre Cornini, 2021 m., in about 1 hour, first along the trail (the same to the Bivacco Bottani – Cornaggia) and then following poor tracks in less popular areas. Amazing view.
- From Pra Soccio, another interesting but difficult and not very popular hike is the one that leads to the summit of Croce Gam, 2585 m. For local experts only.
From the Pra Soccio mountain pasture many other combinations of hikes are possible, including loops, easy and difficult: Hiking Costiera dei Cech. Description, times and difficulties.
Recommended Map: Kompass n° 92
The map used in this post was modified by Open Street Map